Robinson - Bradford - Andrews House
85 High St
Single Family Dwelling House
Bridgewater Industrial/Transportation Corridor
Massachusetts Historical Commission Report
Traditionally dated 1750, this house's main block has the appearance of a Federal style house of c. 1800-1820. To the rear is a 2-1/2 story ell which apparently predates the main block. This house's 5-bay main facade exhibits only the finest Federal entrance enframements in Bridgewater, e.g., eliptical fanlight and multipane sidelights.
This house apparently descended in the Robinson family of upper Main St. During the early 1800's it was owned by Jacob Robinson. For many years he was associated with the old Lazell, Perkins and Co., the iron foundry located to the east of this house, across the Town River. As early as 1785 David Perkins had started a sawmill in this area and by the early 1790's the Lazell, Perkins firm had been established at 171 High St. Jacob Robinson "occupied prominent places in the department requiring the greatest skill in the working of metals." Robinsons lived here until at least the 1850's. By the early 1870's, Peleg Bradford (occupation unlisted) lived here. During the early 1900's Thomas L. Andrews, "mill wright, Bridgewater Foundry, machine, Rolling Mill Co."