Shed, Joel House
76 Bedford St
Single Family Dwelling House
Bridgewater Town Center
Massachusetts Historical Commission Report
Since the 1830s this house has been prominently sited at the north eastern corner of Grove and Bedford Streets, one block to the south of the Bridgewater Common. Possessing a roughly L-shaped plan, its 5 bay x 2 bay main block is enclosed by a steeply pitched gable roof. Its 5 bay main facades center entrance exhibits wide Doric pilasters and a 5 pane•
transom. This house exhibits a c. early 1900's encircling, Tuscan columned verandah.
On June 2, 1838, Joel Shed purchased this lot, "with the buildings thereon" from Kendall Bailey of Charlestown, MA. No building appears on this lot on the 1830 map. Mr. Shed lived here until at least the early 1850's. By the early 1870's Ebenezer Bowman, silk agent at 140 Summer St., Boston, owned this house. During the early 1900's a Mrs. Eaton lived here. Bedford St. isa relatively recent major Bridgewater thoroughfare. It was laid out as part of the Boston and New Bedford Turnpike in 1805-1806 and included Broad St. (now Rte. 18).