Leach, Philander House
206 Elm St
Agricultural, Single Family Dwelling House
Massachusetts Historical Commission Report
This is an unusually substantial Bridgewater farm house composed of a large 2 1/2 story main block, two 1 1/2 story ells and an attached stable/garage. The main block rests on a heavy granite block foundation and is enclosed by a gable roof with return eaves. Possessing a center hall plan, its 3-bay main facade exhibits narrow double windows and double, multi-panel Victorian front doors which open on to a porch with paneled plinths and chamfered posts. The south wall exhibits a polygonal bay with narrow windows and a dentillated cornice.
For many years this property was owned by the descendants of Apollos Leach. Although the present house was built c. 1870, a house has been located on or near this site since at least 1830--at that time an A. (Apollos) Leach owned this property. Born c. late 1760s, Apollos Leach married Chloe Dyer--they had six children including Philo, Daniel, Franklin and Philander. Apollos was a farmer and carpenter "noted for the good quality of his work." Philo and Franklin were also carpenters and were probably responsible for #206 Elm St. By the 1870s, Philander Leach, farmer, owned this property.