Alden - Cook House
395 Titicut St
Single Family Dwelling House
Massachusetts Historical Commission Report
This house is of interest as a c. mid 1840s center hall plan Cape with a pair of steeply pitched gables on the 5 bay main facade. The entrance features Federal (Revival?) sidelights, pilasters and a blind, eliptical fanlight with well crafted moldings.
This house was built c. 1840-1850 for Lewis T. Alden, farmer. Situated in the Titicut section of Bridgewater, near the State Farm, this house originally overlooked an old burial ground (now hidden in underbrush). By the 1890s, Ernest L. Cook owned this property. He was the owner of the E.L. Cook Brick Co. which was located at the head of Cook St., just to the east of this house. He founded this plant in 1890 and began the manufacture of the popular "Diamond C" brick in 1891. The old Cook Brick Co. encompassed "yards, sheds, kilns and clay banks" covering 40 acres. The plant had a capacity of 20 million bricks annually. He employed nearly 100 people. Mr. Cook was one of the very few brick manufacturers in the U.S. to have a registered trademark—the "Diamond C". Mr. Cook's markets included Boston, Providence, Brockton, New Bedford, Fall River, etc.