Alden - Beebe House
285 Summer St
Single Family Dwelling House
Bridgewater Town Center
Massachusetts Historical Commission Report
This is one of Bridgewater's most stylish Italianate houses. Possessing a T-plan, its boxy, rectangular main block is crowned by a low hip roof. Projecting from the 5-bay main facade is a handsome entrance porch with champfered posts. Particularly noteworthy is the main entrance which exhibits sidelights, narrow eliptical fanlight and well crafted moldings. The window above the main entrance is surmounted by a deep, roundheaded hood. In general windows contain 6/6 wood sash.
This house was built c. 1870. In 1873 its owners were W. C. Wilbur "designer on wood" and Mrs. E. C. Beebe, widow of William Beebe. The 1879 map indicates that an eliptical drive was once located in front of this house. By the early 1900s a C. Beebe owned this house. Apparently the Beebes were summer residents of the town as they are not listed in late 19th c. Brockton/Bridgewater directories.