Stetson, George B. House
15-17 Stetson St
Multiple Family Dwelling House, Single Family Dwelling House
Massachusetts Historical Commission Report
This is a relatively rare Bridgewater example of a mansard house. Presently covered with modern shingle siding, it features a pedimented central pavillion, windows with Italianate cornice headed lintels and a slate shingle covered bellcast mansard roof with gabled dormers. In the center of this house on the 2nd floor is a round arch window which is surmounted by a semi-circular hood projecting from the mansard.
Although much altered, this substantial Mansard house reflects the prosperity of the Bridgewater Iron Mfg. Co.'s Stetson family. Built c. 1870 for George B. Stetson, it first appears on the 1873 map of the Town River. George B. Stetson was the son of Nahum Stetson, a leading southeastern MA industrialist. He entered Lazell Perkins and Co. in 1825 and became this iron foundry's manager in 1835. He was succeeded by his son, George B. Stetson, and by his grandson John M. Stetson in 1886. Originally this house faced Broad St. and was repositioned during the laying out of Stetson St. in 1899.