Pratt, Zebulon House
92 South St
Single Family Dwelling House
Bridgewater Town Center
Massachusetts Historical Commission Report
This L-shaped, side hall plan house is part of Bridgewater Center's collection of well-crafted Italianate houses. Composed of a 2 1/2 story main block and 2 1/2 story rear ell , it is enclosed by a bracketed gable roof. A c. early 20th century veranda with Tuscan columns and balusters with punched and cut decoration encircles the 3-bay main and west facade. Still intact are double Victorian multipanel doors. The west wall exhibits a polygonal bay with narrow windows—the west wall of the ell features an open porch and modern brick patio. In general windows are fully enframed and cornice headed in the Italianate manner with 2/2 wood sash.
Built c. 1873 for Zebulon Pratt, this house remained in the Pratt family until at least the early 1900's. Mr. Pratt was born January 8, 1816 in Middleborough, MA. He worked for over 25 years in the book trade as a salesman and auctioneer. His employment required journeys to Cincinnati, St. Louis, Nashville and New Orleans. He moved to Bridgewater in 1873 and became active in the town's social and civic organizations. He was a member of the Central Square Church, American Board of Foreign Missions and was a trustee of the Pratt School. In 1883 J.E. Crane noted that "Socially he (Zebulon Pratt) is one of the live, wide awake citizens of the town and his beautiful residence is on the corner of South Street and Springhill Avenue (later Maple Avenue). Zebulon Pratt was a lineal descendant of Phinear Pratt who landed in Plymouth in 1623.