43 Shaw Rd
Single Family Dwelling House
Bridgewater Town Center
Massachusetts Historical Commission Report
This house ranks among the finest examples of the Greek Revival style in Bridgewater. Composed of a rectangular 5 bay x 2 bay main block, this 1 1/2 story dwelling's 5-bay main facade is symmetrically arranged around paired entrances. Above the J entrance is a tripartite transom with wellcrafted moldings. The front doors open on to a pedimented porch with fluted Ionic columns. Windows are fully enframed and pedimented—they contain 6/6 wood sash. This house's edges are crisply delined by panelled Doric corner pilasters and a wide fascia board.
Architecturally, this house represents the height of Greek Revival style, in terms of craftsmanship, formal elements, etc. Unfortunately, maps and atlases did not shed light on this house's early history as it was moved to this lot from an undetermined location after 1903. During the 1870s its lot was part of a large lot owned by Andrew H. Ward of Summer St. By the early 1900s its lot was part of T. P. Dean's holdings. At that time Shaw Road is shown as a dead end—Clarence St. had not yet been cut through from Shaw to Summer Sts.