Prophett, Henry G. House
107 Bedford St
Multiple Family Dwelling House, Single Family Dwelling House
Bridgewater Town Center
Massachusetts Historical Commission Report
This property's man-made landscape elements are of interest, e.g. the highly unusual front yard border of granite, cemetery memorial like posts and granite block border. Still extant on the lot is a large barn. The H.G. Prophett House is a commodious Queen Anne house with an irregular plan and a main facade dominated by a 2-story octagonal bay and broad gable. A photograph showing this house's original appearance appears in an ad in "Bridgewater Illustrated" by Arthur G. Willis (early 1900s).
Built c. 1895, this house has significant local historical associations with Bridgewater real estate speculator/builder/metal shingle dealer Henry G. Prophett. He was the son of Central Square furniture dealer/builder/ undertaker William Prophett. Presumably this house's unusual granite cemetery memorial-like border was provided by a gravestone dealer associated with the family undertaking business. Today the Prophett Funeral Home is located diagonally across the street to the southeast. H.G. Prophett was responsible for several groups of late Italianate worker's housing built c. 1885 on Maple Ave, 125/115 Bedford St. and 62, 64/66 and 72/74 Union St. H.G. Prophett "donated the expensive electric clock now in the Central Square Congregational Church."