Hooper, George M. House
224-226 Plymouth St
Single Family Dwelling House
Massachusetts Historical Commission Report
The George M. Hooper house is architecturally significant as a rare Bridgewater example of a mid-19th c. brick house. This handsome Italianate house is composed of a 2 bay x 2 bay square plan main block which rises 2 stories to a low hip roof with wooden bracket. Characterized by plain brick surfaces, this house's walls are pierced by narrow double windows with segmental headed brick work lintels. Entrances on the east and west feature similar lintels.
This house has significant historical associations with Bridgewater brick manufacturing. Apparently brick manufacturing in the town dates to as early as the 18th century, although wood has been utilized as the primary building material for three centuries. Built c. 1865, the George H. Hooper house served as an advertisement for Mitchell and George M. Hooper's brick manufacturing concern which was located to the rear of this house. As early as 1829, Mitchell Hooper (born 1808) commenced the manufacture of brick in the area between Plymouth St. and the Town River. By c. 1850 he had built up a large and prosperous business, manufacturing 4 million bricks per year. Mitchell Hooper lived in the large frame early 19th c. house just beyond what is now the entrance to the Waterford Village housing complex, on Plymouth St. His son George M. Hooper (born 1838) entered the business in 1859, after graduating from the Bridgewater Normal School. Both Hoopers were active in the civic affairs of the town, serving terms in the state legislature and as trustees of Bridgewater Academy. George M. Hooper represents the sixth generation of his family to live in Bridgewater, being a lineal descendant of John Hooper who settled here c. 1700. George M. Hooper continued to own this property until at least the early 1900s--in 1903 his brick yards were known as the New England Brick Co. His brick yards extended northwestward to the Town River and included several kilns and long rectangular sheds. Archaeological and above ground investigation of the lands behind the house may yield significant artifacts and structures related to 19th c. Bridgewater brick manufacturing.