Washburn, Eli House
54 Pleasant St
Single Family Dwelling House
Bridgewater Town Center
Massachusetts Historical Commission Report
Two residences are located on this lot and include a c. 1860's Italianate house and a c. early 1900's Queen Anne house. The former is composed of a 2 1/2 story rectangular, side hall plan house with an open front porch (champfered posts and brackets) 2/2 wood sash and a gable roof with return eaves. The latter is a miniature version of larger, towered Queen Anne houses with wide gables and a Tuscan columned porch.
The Italianate house was built here c. 1860's. The first owner was apparently Eli Washburn. For over a quarter of a century he was in charge of Mt. Prospect Cemetery and is credited with raising funds for its fence and gateway. By the early 1900's George H. Simmons, a Swift Ave. butcher, lived here. The Queen Anne house on this property does not appear on the 1903 atlas. It was probably constructed on this site or moved here c. 1910.