Lowe, Abram G. House
16 Pleasant St
Other Medical, Single Family Dwelling House
Bridgewater Town Center
Massachusetts Historical Commission Report
This Greek Revival house approaches mansion scale. It is prominently sited on a large corner lot at the heavily travelled Pleasant/South Streets intersection. Together with the well-detailed Federal house across the street to the northeast, it provides an impressive "gateway" to Pleasant (or Scotland) Road. Currently sheathed in aluminum siding,it retains its distinctive temple form. To the rear is a handsome porte cochere which features a high rubble stone wall and fluted Ionic columns. The O.H. Bailey Bird's-eye view map of Bridgewater (1887) provides a glimpse of this building's original appearance.
This house was built c. 1845 for Dr. Abram T. Lowe. He was among the first inspectors at the Bridgewater State Work House (1853). During the 1870's and 1880's this house was occupied by Lewis G. Lowe, insurance agent. The 1879 atlas indicates that no less than three driveways were located on this lot—one led to the main entrance on the east wall and the other two linked Pleasant Street with several large stables. One of the stables was moved across the street in the 1940's and converted for use as a private house. By the early 1900s a Mrs. C.B. Kingham lived here.