Flagg Street School
2 Flagg St
Architecture, Community Planning, Education
Meeting Hall, Public School
Massachusetts Historical Commission Report
The Flagg school is an interesting survivor from Bridgewater's mid 19th c. school system. It is part of the town's varied collection of 19th c. schools. It is characterized by a simple, boxy form which rises 1 1/2 stories from a rubble stone foundation to a gable roof with return eaves and a lunette attic window. Five simply enframed windows pierce the side walls.
At some point between 1746 and 1771 the 6th Rick or District School was established. As early as 1772 a school house was erected in the vicinity of the Auburn/Summer/Flagg Streets crossroads. A school house labeled No. 6 appears at the northeast corner of Auburn and Summer Streets in 1830, 1852 and 1857. The present school structure dates to c. 1850 and appears on its present lot on the 1879 atlas. In 1899 the school was moved to the center of its lot and it sinterior was remodeled. Hallways were made into a room, the porch was covered (no longer extant) and a wood furnace and slate blackboards were installed. In 1901 the lot was graded and trees were planted. In 1933 the school was painted
inside and out by the W.P.A. for $11.93. Modern lighting and inside toilets were installed in 1933 and 1935, respectively. Over time this school's student body varied from 12 to 45. As of 1976 it was the only 19th century school house still under the control of the school department. It was used for storing materials for the school maintenance department. It was closed as a school in 1948. Today a sign on the building indicates that it is being used as a Redman's Meeting Hall.