Bridgewater Iron Mfg. Company Tube Mill
131 High St
Bridgewater Iron Works
Massachusetts Historical Commission Report
This is a c. 1850's industrial structure. Labeled "Tube Mill" on the 1873 Atlas, this is a multi segment, long rectangular structure with twin gables. Its walls are pierced by segmental headed windows with 9/9 wood sash (upper sash intact). The northern most portion of this building is crowned by a low cupola/air vent.
This utilitarian mid 19th century structure was part of the Lazell, Perkins Iron Works expansion which occurred between 1846 (coming of the Old Colony Railroad) and the Civil War. The manufacture of yellow metal and tubing was an important branch of this concern during these years. In addition, the shafts of the largest oceans teamers were made at this establishment. This building appears labeled "Tube Mill" on the 1873 map. By 1889 this building housed a copper and brass tubeworks, an engine room,two core ovens and a foundry. This building is shown with a long rectangular frame addition along its northeast wall—this addition had disappeared by 1891. By the early 1900's this building was used as a store house by the "Bridgewater Foundry Machine and Rolling Mill Co." (apparently the same company as the Stanley Tool Co. which bought out the old Lazell, Perkins Iron Works/Bridgewater Iron Co. in 1893).