Holmes, Martin D. House
827 High St
Single Family Dwelling House
Massachusetts Historical Commission Report
827 High St. is a solid, well-crafted L-plan Greek Revival cottage
This house represents a relatively recent addition to the High Street (between Broad and Hayward Sts.) collection of "ancient" homesteads. High St. dates to as early as the late 17th century and was lined by the lean-to's and center hall dwellings of the Alden family. #827 was built in 1854—in that year, Martin D. Holmes purchased this house lot from Simeon D. Wood. Mr. Holmes is listed in late 19th century directories as "wratchman at gin works" (presumably the Eagle Cotton Gin Co. at Pearl and Perkins). By the late 1870s, Pliny B. Howard, farmer, owned this property. During the early 1900s, an H. Holmes is listed here.