54 High St
Single Family Dwelling House
Bridgewater Industrial/Transportation Corridor
Massachusetts Historical Commission Report
Traditionally dated 1750, this house is composed of a 5-bay x 2-bay Cape Cod cottage and a two-story, c. mid 19th c. rear ell with a gable roof. The 5-bay main facade features mildly Greek Revival entrance enframement with narrow multipane side lights.
Further research is needed to determine if any segment of this house dates to 1750. During the early 19th century a J. Perkins lived here. By the mid 1850's Aaron Perkins, an engineer at Lazell, Perkins & Co. owned this house. His residence is listed as Centre St., opposite the Catholic Church by the 1870's (although he continued to own #54 High St.). By 1903, James Perkins, foreman, lived here. Presumably this branch of the Perkins family is related to David Perkins. He established a grist mill and forge at High St. and the Town River as early as 1785. In 1793 he joined forces with Nathaniel Lazell to form the Lazell, Perkins Iron Works. The bridge over the Town River, near this house, was called Perkins Bridge (1801 Crane map).