Hayward, Solomon House
85 Hayward Pl
Colonial, First Period
Single Family Dwelling House
Paper Mill Village, Prattown
Massachusetts Historical Commission Report
This house is part of Bridgewater's outstanding collection of "salt box" dwellings dating from the first quarter of the 18th century, Its 5-bay main facade features a simply enframed front door and windows with 9/6 wood sash. At the center of the roof's ridge is a low brick chimney. This house possesses a distinctive lean-to profile.
This house is situated at the foot of a cul de sac in a wooded area of eastern Bridgewater, off Walnut St. Built c. 1720, this house was originally owned by the Samuel Hayward family. A second Hayward house was built to the north east of this house c. 1775. Haywards lived here until at least the 1850s. By the 1870s Nahum Benson, shoemaker, is listed as a "boarder" in the house. This house appears unlabeled on the 1903 atlas. Like Oliver Pl. and Keith Pl. off South St., Hayward Place has a sense of private road leading to the isolated domain of an old Bridgewater family (although technically part of Pratt Town).