Benson, Jonah House
328 Auburn St
Agricultural, Single Family Dwelling House
Massachusetts Historical Commission Report
#328 Auburn St. is a well-preserved example of a common 18th and mid. 19th c. southeastern MA building form. It is a 1 1/2 story, center hall plan Cape. It possesses a granite block foundation, clapboard sheathing and a gable roof. To the rear is a one story ell which is attached to a mid 19th c. stable. This house rests on a granite block foundation. Entrance enframements consist of narrow sidelights and simple vertical and horizontal boards. Windows contain 6/6 wood sash. At the center of the roof's ridge is a brick chimney.
Built at some point in the early 19th c, this house appears on the 1830 map labeled J. Benson. Jonah Benson, farmer, lived here until the mid 1870s. By 1879 Thomas H. Benson, a shoemaker, owned this property. 1870s directories refer to this area as "the Benson neighborhood."