Sprague, F. A. House
81 Grove St
Single Family Dwelling House
Bridgewater Town Center
Massachusetts Historical Commission Report
This house is significant as one of the more architecturally ambitious examples of the Italianate style in Bridgewater. Possessing an L-shaped plan, it rises 2 1/2 stories to a steeply pitched gable roof with deep, overhanging eaves and large scroll brackets. Tall windows open on to the front porch which faces a mid 19th c. semi-circular driveway.
This house was built in 1850 for Fisher A. Sprague. In August, 1850 he paid Abram Washburn 2nd $600.00 for this lot. Mr. Sprague's widow Saba lived here until c. 1875 and a Mrs. C. C. Sprague is listed as this house's owner in 1879. Deeds and directories do not provide information regarding Mr. Sprague's occupation. By the early 1900s Samuel Pearly Gates owned this property (in addition to the Queen Anne house, now located across the street at the corner of Cedar and Grove Sts.). He owned a controlling a number of Directorships and Trusteeships. (See Samuel Pearly Gates House).