Bartlett, J. Alonzo House
31 Green St
Single Family Dwelling House
Massachusetts Historical Commission Report
This is a 2 1/2 story, mildly Italianate vernacular house with a center hall plan, 5-bay x 2 bay main block, and well crafted center entrance enframements—e.g. sidelights with Doric pilasters exhibiting a variation on the Greek key motif. Projecting from the main facade is a later porch addition with simple slat-work balusters and square posts.
During the late 17th-early 18th c. Green St. was a segment of Vernon St. which was known as "away from Taunton" and/or "Titicut Road". During the 18th and 19th c. this southwest section of Bridgewater, bordering the Taunton River, contained sawmills, ice houses and later was center for tack and nail manufacturing. Built c. 1850, #31 Green St. was apparently built for J. Alonzo Bartlett, nail manufacturer. The 1852 map indicates a "Tackworks" to the north of this house. By the 1870s, Horace Bartlett, Bradford Bartlett and J. A. Bartlett—all nail makers lived here. The 1879 map indicates an L. Perkins (occupation unlisted) on this site. By the early 1900s, a C. C. Bennett lived here.