123 Green St
Single Family Dwelling House
Massachusetts Historical Commission Report
This is an early 18th century Cape Cod cottage. It consists of a simple, rectangular center hall plan main block with a gable roof and low brick center chimney. Windows contain 12/12 wood sash and are framed by a rectangular wood sill and lintel. To the rear are two much later ells.
19th century maps and atlases indicate that this house was moved to its present site c. 1879-1903. During the early 1900s' Charles M. Hayden, shoemaker, lived here. To the north of this house is the pond where Mr. Hayden kept an ice house. Green St. is a very old road—it was part of Vernon St. (south of Spruce St.) and was known during the early 18th century as "Titicut Road" and "a way from Taunton Road"—this road lead to the Titicut Bridge to Middleborough. J. C. Craner on his "Bridgewater in 1716" map indicates that the pond to the north was called "Sawmill Pond" and the surrounding land was owned by Captain Nehemiah Washburn—#123 Green St.