509 Elm St
Single Family Dwelling House
Massachusetts Historical Commission Report
Situated on an east-west diagonal, this house represents a highly unusual variation on the Greek Revival house type—here, the main entrance is located in the center of the west wall. To the left of this entrance is a projecting, enclosed segment of the ground floor. To the right are tall windows which open on to an encircling porch with fluted Doric columns. Above the main entrance (with multi-pane sidelights, Doric pilasters and heavy entablature) is a steeply pitched gable. Three tall windows on the south gable open onto the encircling porch. Possessing a rectangular plan, this house is clad with clapboards. In general, windows contain 6/6 wood sash and are fully enframed.
Built between 1852 and 1857, this house was for many years the residence of William H. Hill. This is probably the William Hill, blacksmith, who lived at the corner of Pleasant and Elm Streets. This house is located in a remote section of Bridgewater near the West Bridgewater line. To the east are wetlands known as the Great Cedar Swamp. Elm St. was cut through the lowlands north of Pleasant St. as early as 1702 and was known as "the way to Jon Cary".