Leach, Caleb House
434 Elm St
Greek Revival, Italianate
Agricultural, Single Family Dwelling House
Massachusetts Historical Commission Report
This house's side hall plan main block has the appearance of a c. 1850 Greek Revival/ Italianate cottage with three small rear ells. Its 3-bay main facade exhibits Doric pilasters and a heavy, classicized entablature. It is enclosed by a broad gable roof with return eaves.
Built c. 1850, the 1830 map indicates a dwelling on or near this site. For many years this house was owned by a branch of Bridgewater's Leach family. Caleb Leach, farmer, lived here until at least the mid 1870s--his wife, Elizabeth G. Leach, is listed on Elm St. in 1879. By 1903 Jonathon Leach, laborer, lived here. Carmen Kennels are presently housed on this property.