Cannon, Thomas U. House
1245 Conant St
Architecture, Politics Government
Multiple Family Dwelling House
Massachusetts Historical Commission Report
1245 Conant St. is a late example of a house which combines Gothic Revival form/roof configuration with Italianate elements. The main facade features a pair of octagonal bays, which are flanked by entrances which are surmounted by bracked hoods and open on to a porch with turned elements projecting from the north wall in a two-storey ell.
Situated on the grounds of the Massachusetts Correctional Institution, Bridgewater, this home dates to c.1886-1894—the years of reorganization and expansion following the former state work houses incorporation as the "Massachusetts State Farm." As early as 1854, a state alms house was located on Conant St. in the remote, southern portion of Bridgewater known as Titicut. By 1866 this area contained the State Work House—here, "vicious paupers" were sentenced from three month to three years. In 1883 the State Work House was almost totally destroyed by fire. After 1886, the Massachusetts State Farm encompassed both correctional facilities and a hopsital for the insane. For many years #1245 Conant Street was the home of Thomas J. Cannon, Assistant Superintendant of the Massachusetts Sate Farm. In 1901 Conant St. was reloated by having it turn to the left of the Cannon House—it was rerouted along the barn area, turning just beyond the horse barn and continued south to Administration Avenue.