Holmes, Cornelius House
524 Conant St
Agricultural, Single Family Dwelling House
Massachusetts Historical Commission Report
#524 Conant St. is a solid example of a c. 1800 Federal frame vernacular Bridgewater farmhouse. Possessing a center hall plan, this house rises 2 stories to a low hip roof with tall brick chimneys located near the north and south 2 bay side walls. Its 5 bay main facade is symmetrically arranged around well-designed entrance enframements which include narrow Doric pilasters, semi-circular fan light, small console brackets which support an entablature with a shallow cornice. Windows are simply enframed and contain 6/6 wood sash.
Built c. 1800 to the north of the small pox cemetery, this handsome Federal farm house appears on the 1830 map labeled C. Holmes Jr. and E. Conant. Maps of 1852 and 1857 and the 1879 atlas indicate that a C. Holmes owned this house. During the 1870s Cornelius Holmes, farmer, and C. Bradford Holmes, a Brockton shoemaker, lived here. By the early 1900s Fremont J. Turner, shoe cutter, owned this property. It should be noted that the Conant St. cemetery, adjacent to the northern edge of this property, was established in 1829.