Hayward, Dea. Jacob House
476 Cherry St
Agricultural, Single Family Dwelling House
Massachusetts Historical Commission Report
Clad with wood shingles, this house is an important survivor from mid 18th c. Bridgewater. It was built as a 1 1/2 story Cape, c. 1768 (or earlier)—a second story was added after 1771. A Greek Revival entrance porch was added c. mid 19th century. Further research is needed to determine if this house was Colonial Revivalized c. 1910, with the addition of a lean-to. Windows contain 12/12 wood sash—fenestration of the east wall appears to have been reworked. In the center of the gable roof is a large brick chimney.
Traditionally dated 1768, this center hall plan Colonial house may have been built several decades earlier—possibly at the time of the marriage of its first owner, Deacon Jacob Hayward to Martha Allen in 1736. Jacob Hayward Jr. and his wife Martha Snell were the second owners—the Haywards sold it to Captain Snell of Newport in 1771. In addition to the Captain, two black slaves, "Will" and "Newport" are said to have been housed in the attic—they were freed in 1777 when this house was sold to Jesse Harlow of Plymouth—descendants of Newport remained in Bridgewater some 200 years. Harlows owned this property until the early 20th c. During the 1890s George A. Harlow ran a successful trout farm here until 1900. In 1910 Charles Perkins bought this property (his heirs continued to own this property as of 1976). To the east of this house is the Taunton River and Childs Bridge which links Bridgewater with Halifax. During the early 18th c. this bridge was called "Indian Foundry Place". Until the 1770s Cherry St. ran to the rear of Child's Bridge Farm—Capt. Child paid the authorities a barrel of rum to have the road rerouted— as late as the 1870s a remnant of the old Cherry St., called "Back St." was located to the northwest of this house.