Keith, Mitchell House
17 Central Sq
Newsroom, Single Family Dwelling House
Bridgewater Town Center
Massachusetts Historical Commission Report
This venerable frame structure is tucked away behind the "Bank Building" or "Redman's Block." A narrow, rectangular main block with a gable roof and a c. 1840s multigable rear addition give it a U-shaped plan. Located at the southwest corner of its five-bay main facade, its entrance is flanked by narrow, multipane sidelights. It is topped by a Greek Revival entablature. The main facade's original fenestration has been altered. For example, a wide, first-story window and a tall , second-story window are variations on the standard 6/6, wood sash windows.
The Mitchell Keith House is one of the oldest structures in Bridgewater's Central Square area. It may date to the second decade of the 19th century. It originally stood on the site of the Odd Fellows Block, facing the western edge of the common. It was moved to its present site c. 1900. For many years this house was the residence of Mitchell Keith. From 1814 to 1821, he operated a store at the corner of Central Square and Broad Street, which later became J.E. Crane's store. In addition, Mitchell Keith "was postmaster for half his life." By the early 1870s, Thomas Crocker owned the property. Currently it houses the town newspaper, the Bridgewater Independent. Note: In 1903 this building was owned by the Thomas Keith estate.