Witherell, J. House
27 Center St
Single Family Dwelling House
Massachusetts Historical Commission Report
This house is of interest architecturally as a modestly scaled Italianate/Queen Anne cottage with unusually sophisticated details. Possessing an irregular, cross gable plan, its 3-bay main facade opens on to a porch with well-crafted turned posts, slat work balusters and spool work transom. A gable with return eaves enframes second floor windows with interesting lintels—bracketed cornices with Weo-Grec motifs.
This house does not appear on the 1857 map but does appear on the 1873 map of the town center. During the 1870s a "Mrs. Witherell" lived here. By the early 1900s Edward Barry, laborer, owned this property.