1400 Vernon St
Single Family Dwelling House
Massachusetts Historical Commission Report
This house presently has the appearance of a mid-late 19th century side hall plan, 1 1/2 story Italianate cottage. Further research is needed to determine if this is an earlier, remodeled structure. A structure appears on this site on the 1830 map. The present dwelling possesses a long rectangular plan and a 3-bay main facade with cornice headed windows in the Italianate manner. The main facade opens onto a porch with slatwork balusters, turned posts and saw cut brackets. The north wall exhibits a diamond shaped window. This dwelling is enclosed by a gable roof with return eaves.
The 1830 and 1852 maps show a structure on this site labeled Z. Richmond. By the 1870s James Richmond, shoemaker, lived here. By the early 1900s, this property was owned by a James Richmond, farmer.