1109 Vernon St
Single Family Dwelling House
Massachusetts Historical Commission Report
This is a well-crafted example of a c. 1840 Greek Revival, center hall-plan cape with a rather ambitious classized entrance porch—the front door is flanked by multi-pane and panelled side lights which open on to a small, pedimented, fluted Tuscan columned porch. The entablature of the porch, as well as the freize boards above the windows exhibit a narrow raised continuous molding. Its 5-bay main facade windows exhibit 12/12 wood sash.
According to "the map of Bridgewater in 1716" which J.E. Crane delineated in 1890, the Fobes family has lived on or near the site of #1109 Vernon St. since c. 1711. The present house dates to c. 1840 and was built for Bela Fobes. He lived here for much of the 19th c. (until at least 1879). By the early 1900's H. H. Pope was farming the old Fobes lands. The 1879 atlas indicates a blacksmith shop on the west side of the road near this house. The 1903 atlas shows a cider mill on the west side of Vernon St., to the south of this house.