Leonard - Bryant House
334 Walnut St
Single Family Dwelling House
Massachusetts Historical Commission Report
Bridgewater possesses a fine and relatively extensive collection of Cape Cod cottages, ranging in date from the early 18th-mid 19th centuries. #334 Walnut St. is one of the earlier examples of this type. Dating to c. 1750, it possesses the standard center hall, 5 bay by 2 bay plan with a broad gable. It is presently covered with wood shingles. Clues to its 18th c. origins lie in its proportions—this house is compact compared to more elongated 19th c. Capes. In addition, its windows exhibit raise enframement with 12/12 wood sash. The center chimney appears to have been reduced in size. To the rear is a low 1 story ell. Also on the premises is a wood shingle barn of considerable age.
This cottage is indicated on the 1830 map labeled "B. Leonard." During the 1850s an L and B. Bryant lived here. Lewis Bryant is listed as a farmer in 1874/75. This house does not appear on the 1879 atlas but appears with its present L-shaped plan on the 1903 atlas. Further research is needed to determine 18th c. ownership.