38 Walnut St
Agricultural, Single Family Dwelling House
Paper Mill Village, Prattown
Massachusetts Historical Commission Report
This is one of the oldest residences in Pratt Town. It is shown on J. E. Crane's "Map of Pratt Town in 1801" and probably dates to c. 1720. Present]y covered with wood shingles, it possesses a center hall plan with a projecting and enclosed entrance. Windows contain 6/6 wood sash. Crowned by a gable roof, the northwest wall exhibits a lean-to profile. Projecting from the center of the roof is a low brick chimney.
This house's lot was originally part of the farm Joseph Pratt purchased in the vicinity of the Plymouth-Walnut Sts. crossroads in 1705. At that time the area was completely devoid of roads. Pratts lived in this house until as late as c. 1860— an S. Pratt is listed here in 1830 and a Mrs. Pratt, papermill worker, lived here. During the early 1900s Elijah P. Andrews, shoemaker, lived here.