Robinson - Murphy House
174 Wall St
Single Family Dwelling House
Massachusetts Historical Commission Report
Architecturally, this house is of interest for its form—built c. 1845, this house consists of a 1 1/2 story Greek Revival main block (sidehall plan, gable roof with return eaves) and 1 1/2 story south wing which exhibits a distinctive "half gambrel" profile. This house is crisply accented with narrow corner.and wide freize boards.
Built c. 1845, this house was built for William H. Robinson, nailmaker. Located just to the north of Bridgewater Iron Works housing at Stanley, this house is apparently tied to the growth of this iron foundry during the 1830s and 1840s—growth that was accelerated by the coming of the railroad in 1846. From the early 1870s until at least the early 1900s the Murphy family lived here. During the early 1900s Murphy residents of this house included William F., engineer; William, molder; J. Murphy, laborer; and Michael, laborer.