Bolls - Kelley House
388 Titicut St
Single Family Dwelling House
Aldenville, Alden Square
Massachusetts Historical Commission Report
This house is significant as a solid, well crafted examples of a hip roofed, late Georgian house. Its 5-bay main facade is symmetrically arranged around a center entrance with a projecting and enclosed entrance porch. Stripped of wood shingles, this house's wide flush boards are currently visible. Windows are fully enframed with raised, bolection moldings and contain 12/12 wood sash. In the center of the roof's hip is a brick chimney.
This house is significant as a relatively substantial late Georgian house. It appears on J.E. Crane's map of the Alden Square area in 1801 labeled "C. Bolls and Kelly, Baptist Minister." The Bolls and Kelly names appear on the 1830 map. By the early 1850s an
S. Wentworth owned this property. By the late 1870s this house was occupied by an R.S. Paine and a George R. Paine, music teacher. By the early 1900s Sarah F. Blackstone (wife(?) of Hollis M., prison superintendent and real estate speculator) owned this property. The state Almshouse was established to the northwest of this house at Titicut and Conant St. in 1854 and was greatly expanded as the State farm during the mid 1880's. By the early 1890's the brick yard of E. L. Cook was located to the east of this house.