Strann, Henry J. House
302 Titicut St
Single Family Dwelling House
Aldenville, Alden Square
Massachusetts Historical Commission Report
This house and two other Queen Anne dwellings enframe the southern side of the landscaped triangle known as Alden Square. Rising 2 1/2 stories from a brick basement to a multigable roof, this house is noteworthy for its wood shingle patterns—particularly the diamond shaped form at gable level.
This house was built in 1890 for Henry Johnson Straun (1865-1946). He was the clerk and superintendent (1922-1932) of the nearby state farm. Alden Square was originally known as Blackstone Square—its development was tied to that of the post-1886 expansion of the Massachusetts State Farm at Titicut, Bridgewater. Mr. Straun paid Hollis M. Blackstone $150.00 for this lot in July 1890. Mr. Straun was active in a number of Bridgewater civic and social organizations, including the Masons. He was also the Water Commissioner of Bridgewater for a number of years.