Washburn - Livermore House
362 Summer St
Single Family Dwelling House
Bridgewater Town Center
Massachusetts Historical Commission Report
This is a simple, center hall plan Cape with a projecting and enclosed entrance porch (e.g. Doric pilasters). Windows contain 6/6 wood sash. The north end wall exhibits a distinctive salt box profile. This house is shown with at least two ells projecting from its southeast corner on 19th c. atlases.
Traditionally dated 1767, this house was owned by a Rotheous Washburn during the early 19th century. Miss Clara W. Crane describes this house, in "Bridgewater in 1835" as "a low house where Rotheous Washburn lived." By the early 1870s it was owned by Samuel T. Livermore. Born March 16, 1824, Samuel T. Livermore had been a school teacher in Virginia and Ohio and was ordained as pastor of the Baptist Church at Livonia, N.Y. in 1852. After pastorates at Cooperstown and Lowville, New York he spent several years in the life insurance business. In 1870 he moved his family from Albany, N.Y. to Bridgewater. In 1874 he became pastor of the church at Block Island. In addition Rev. Livermore was a historian, publishing histories of Cooperstown and Block Island. In 1881-1882 he wrote the "Biographical Cyclopedia" of Rhode Island. Rev. Livermore named #362 Summer "Fir Grove". In addition to his Summer St. house lot he owned a residential subdivision of 18 house lots at what is now Dean and Mellen St.—off the western side of Summer St. By the early 1900s a Levi S. Curtis owned this house.