Snell - Leonard House
259 Summer St
Single Family Dwelling House
Bridgewater Town Center
Massachusetts Historical Commission Report
This is Bridgewater's most architecturally sophisticated Georgian House. Its main 5 bay facade is symmetrically ranged around an entrance with exceptionally well crafted elements including Doric pilasters, pediment and a semicircular fan light with Gothicized leaded muntins. The multipanel front door is still intact. This house is situated on a hammered, granite block foundation and is enclosed by a low hip roof.
Built c. 1760-1780, this house was apparently built for the Snell family. Harry C. Snell lived here during the early-mid 19th century. Snells figured prominently in the history of education in 18th century Bridgewater. In 1772, Joseph Snell was a schoolmaster of the grammar school. He was a graduate of Harvard (1735) and died in 1791. He lived in the North Parish. William Snell taught in both the South Parish and East Parish during the early 1770s. In addition a Capt. Benjamin Snell was a schoolmaster in Bridgewater for many years (late 18th-early 19th c). By the 1870s Charlotte M. Snell, widow of Isaac H. Snell lived here. By the early 1900s, a Mrs. Leonard owned this property.