Keith, Ambrose House
240 Summer St
Single Family Dwelling House
Bridgewater Town Center
Massachusetts Historical Commission Report
This house is part of Bridgewater's small, well-preserved collection of houses which represent an interesting variation on the standard temple from Greek Revival house plan—this house's narrow end wall gable faces the street and exhibits a recessed porch at its southwest corner. The porch exhibits a fluted Doric column. The south-facing front door exhibits an unusually wide classized entablature. Pilasters with recessed panels appear at the corners of this house. This house retains its 6/6 wood sash (see 225 Main St.).
This house is significant as the work of Bridgewater master builder Ambrose Keith. Mr. Keith lived here from c. 1845-1885. He was responsible (along with Soloman K. Eaton, architect) for the construction of the Congregational Church at Central Square (1862). By the early 1900's a Mary Keith lived here.