Keith - Wilbur - Packard House
1776 South St
Single Family Dwelling House
Massachusetts Historical Commission Report
This house is architecturally significant as a rare, well preserved example of a 1-1/2 story, center hall plan Gambrel cottage dating to the early 18th century.
This house was built c. 1700 by Samuel Keith. He was the son of the Reverand James Keith, first minister in Bridgewater, at the settlement of Scotland (1664). Samuel's son Amos was born in this house in 1705. He was apparently the Amos Keith who started an iron foundry at Stutevant's Corner, Titicut as early at 1740. He left his house to his nephew Amos Keith. Amos died in 1801 and the house passed to Avery Fobes who sold it in 1803 to Seth Wilbur. From c. 1870—the early 1900's Henry F. Wilbur, shoe maker lived here. It remained in the Wilbur family until the Packard family purchased it in 1964.