1659 South St
Agricultural, Single Family Dwelling House
Massachusetts Historical Commission Report
This is a c. mid-18th century 5-bay by 2-bay farmhouse. It consists of a 2 1/2 gable roofed main block with a center entrance plan. To the rear is a 1 story ell. At the center of the roof is a low, substantial brick chimney. Windows are simply enframed and contain 6/6 wood sash.
This house was apparently built during the mid-18th c. for members of Bridgewater's Fobes family. It is located in the Titicut-Sturtevant's Corner area, at the southern end of the town. As early as 1740 the Keith Foundry was established in this area on the Taunton River. By the 1830s Joshua Fobes lived here. He is listed in 1870s Directories as a mason. By the early 1900s, William Hazlitt, farmer, owned this property.