Keith, Holden W. House
1614 South St
Single Family Dwelling House
Massachusetts Historical Commission Report
This is a stylish example of a mid 19th c. Cape Cod cottage and part of Bridgewater's well crafted inventory of Cape Cod cottages. It is composed of a center hall plan main block and two rear ells. Particularly noteworthy is the 5 bay main facade's handsome Greek Revival entrance enframements which encompass multipane sidelights, Doric pilasters and a heavy entablature. Windows are simply enframed and contain 6/6 wood sash. A wide freize board runs beneath the main facade's eaves. The rear, middle ell features a peair of small dormers on its southern slope. This house is enclosed by a broad gable roof with narrow brick chimneys at either end of the roof's ridge.
A visual analysis of this building points to a construction date of c. 1845 but an earlier structure may be incorporated within this cottage. The 1830 map indicates that a structure owned by an L. Hooper was located here. From the early 1850s, until at least the early 1880s, Eolden W. Keith lived here. He was a partner of Salmon Keith and Co., a sawmill which was located near by off Keith Place. As early as the late 18th c. the Keith family had established an iron business at Sturtevant's corner on South St. in Titicut. By the early 1900s a William Coleman, brakeman, owned this house.