Bates - Lapham House
913 South St
Single Family Dwelling House
Massachusetts Historical Commission Report
This is a substantial 5-bay x 5-bay Federal farm house with a center, pedemented and enclosed entrance porch. The front door is flanked by Doric pilasts and an elegant fanlight surmounts the front door. This house is crowned by a low hip roof. It ranks among the finest examples of its style in Bridgewater.
This house has been the major landmark at the South St./Winter St. crossroads since the early 1800's. It was owned by the S.W. Bates family until c. 1880. By the early 1900's Melzar Lapham, farmer, owned this property.