Bater, George W. House
777 South St
Single Family Dwelling House
Massachusetts Historical Commission Report
This is a solid, well-crafted example of a sidehall plan, temple form Greek Revival house. Possessing a rectangular plan, its 3-bay main facade faces a front porch with fluted Doric columns. The front door is crisply enframed by classicized surrounds. Windows contain 2/2 wood sash. The 4-bay south facade displays an entrance with Doric pilasters and a heavy entablature. This house is enclosed by a gable roof with return eaves. The attic window exhibits 6/6 wood sash.
Although this house has been traditionally dated 1830, the main block appears to date c. 1845-50. It does not appear on the 1830 map. During the 1850s and until at least the late 1870s, George W. Bater, farmer, lived here. By the early 1900s, Alvah F. McFarland, railroad engineer, lived here.