Washburn - Alden House
241 South St
Single Family Dwelling House
Massachusetts Historical Commission Report
Situated on a large corner lot, noteworthy for unspoiled mid 19th c. landscape elements, this sprawling Italianate house was built during the 1350s. Possessing an L-shaped plan, it has an attached north ell, south ell and barn garage. Still intact are large Victorian double doors, windows with hood moldings and 6/6 wood sash. The gable roof exhibits return eaves.
This house was built between 1852 and 1857. Its first owners were a D. and N. Washburn. By the 1870s John C. Alden, a coal dealer at 9 Kilby St., Boston, lived here. By the early 1900s a P.B. Watson lived here.