Ames - Parsons House
136 South St
Gothic Revival, Italianate
Single Family Dwelling House
Bridgewater Town Center
Massachusetts Historical Commission Report
This Gothic Revival/Italianate cottage, with its distinctive, steeply pitched center gable, is a prominent focal point facing the southern terminus of Pleasant St. (on South St.). Possessing an irregular plan, this clapboard covered house's main facade features a central entrance with late 19th c. double doors which open on to an open porch with champfered posts.
Built c. 1850, this house is labeled Mrs. Ames and A. Ames estate on the 1852 and 1857 maps, respectively. Presumably these Ames' were descandants of John Ames (and Elizabeth Hayward), one of the original proprietors of Bridgewater (1645).