Mitchell, Daniel House
101 South St
Single Family Dwelling House
Bridgewater Town Center
Massachusetts Historical Commission Report
This house possesses integrity of siting, materials, design, craftsmanship, etc.—it ranks among the finest examples of the Federal Style in Bridgewater (along with the Paul Revere House on Main St.). It is composed of a 2-story, center hall plan, hip roofed main block with tall brick chimneys near the eastern and western end walls. To the rear is a 2-story c. mid 19th century rear addition. To the side is a c. early 20th century "screened-in" porch. The main facade is symmetrically arranged around an entrance noteworthy for its eliptical arch fan light and narrow sidelights. The front door opens on to a Tuscan columned and balustraded porch. Above the main entrance are well-crafted enframements of unusually (for Bridgewater) sophisticated design.
This house was built c. 1795 for "Squire Daniel" Mitchell, a well-to-do gentleman farmer. Mitchell's land extended northwestward along Pleasant St. to the rear of this property. From the 1850's-1880's Bela Mitchell owned this property. He was a farmer. In 1879 part of this house was occupied by Central Square clock and jewelry store proprietor E. A. Hewett. By the early 20th century Edward M. Alden, "coal, Boston", lived here.