Bryant House

49 South St

1860

Architectural Style

Italianate

Significance

Architecture

Use Type

Single Family Dwelling House

Neighborhood

Bridgewater Town Center

Massachusetts Historical Commission Report

Architectural Significance

49 South Street ranks among the town's finest mid 19th-century, Italianate houses. This clapboard, L-shaped building rises 2 1/2 stories to a wide gable with return, boxed eaves and large, saw-cut brackets. Much of its charm is derived from its open porch, which wraps around its sides and street facades. The porch eaves are decorated with scalloped, Carpenter Gothic bargeboards. Entrances are located on the sides. In the center of its street' facade is a tall, multipane window. The second story has paired, round-headed windows with hood moldings, and a small pair of similar windows appears at attic level.

Historical Significance

This house is among Bridgewater Center's collection of solid, well-crafted, and well-preserved Italianate residences. It is integral to the largely unspoiled, 19th-century character of South Street near Central Square. For many years, the Bryant family owned it. The property is labeled "Mrs. D. Bryant" on late 19th-century maps. An older Bryant homestead was located on the wooded lot to the west of the house.