Sprague - King - Gammons House
38 South St
Colonial Revival, Italianate, Queen Anne
Single Family Dwelling House
Bridgewater Town Center
Massachusetts Historical Commission Report
At some date between 1903 and 1906, a Colonial Revival front porch and Queen Anne corner tower were added to this c. 1850 Italianate house. Its irregular plan rises two stories to a gable roof with bracketed, return eaves. The front porch features paired, attenuated Tuscan columns supporting a flat roof. The double entrance doors have etched-glass panes. Most of the windows are topped by cornice lintels. A pyramidal roof caps the corner tower.
The first oweer of this stylistically eclectic house, built c. 1850, was E.P. Sprague. He or she was presumably related to Holmes Sprague, teamster, who lived next door at 44 South Street. Holmes Sprague's large, red barn was located on #38's lot prior to construction of the house. Mr. Sprague's barn sheltered a"team" of horses that transported rum, sugar, molasses, flour and small groceries from Boston, Plymouth, Taunton and New Bedford.
By the early 1870s, this property belonged to F.D. King, a livery stable owner. He was a native of Mansfield, Massachusetts, and began conducting business in Bridgewater in 1865. He kept a "Livery, Hack and Boarding Stable" in several buildings, which no longer exist, behind the Tory House and Borris Building on the west side of Central Square. In addition, King dealt in horses, carriages, and harnesses. His stables accommodated 40 horses and as many carriages. He owned 4 hacks, 2 coaches, 25 light wagons and buggies, as well as "20 fine stylish horses." Mr. King "filled orders for funerals, weddings, trucking and moving furniture."
By the late 1870s, the house passed to Ferdinand C. Gammons and Annie Lawrence Gammons. Born, in Middleboro, Massachusetts on September 29, 1845, Mr. Gammons came to Bridgewater at age 21. For many years he was manager and vice president of Continental Gin Company, incorporated as Eagle Cotton Gin Company in 1877. Initially he was a partner in Pratt and Gammon's Box Company. Mr. Gammon's wife, Annie Lawrence Gammons, was the founder of Methodism in Bridgewater. She and her husband purchased the lot at the corner of School and Cedar Streets for the present Gammons Memorial United Methodist Church. The Gammons owned this house until the early 1930s.