Hooper - Worcester - Sargent House
69-71 Springhill Ave
English Revival, Italianate
Multiple Family Dwelling House, Single Family Dwelling House
Bridgewater Town Center
Massachusetts Historical Commission Report
Traditionally dated 1833, this house was enlarged c. 1875 and 1895. Presently covered in modern shingle siding this house is of interest as a mid 19th century house with Italianate elements which was transformed via a broad oriel and half-timbered attics into a Tudoresque residence.
Traditionally dated c. 1833, this house appears on the O. H. Bailey Birds Eye View map of Bridgewater as a cran gable Italianate house. It appears on the 1852 and 1873 maps as a long rectangular (probably side hall plan) house with a polygonal bay on the south side (still in evidence). It was built for Thomas Hooper, "gardener and nurseryman". Several green houses and a large barn were located near the house during the mid-late 19th c. Springhill Ave. was originally the driveway leading to the Hooper House. It culminated at an oval driveway at what is now the inter.section of Springhill Ave. and Maple Ave. Hooper subdivided the land on either side of his driveway beginning c. 1848. By the late 1870's, Dr. Howard Worcester lived here. The house assumed its present form by 1903—at that time its owner was Mrs. W. P. Sargent.