Wilbur, Richard W. House
19 School St
Architecture, Social History
Single Family Dwelling House
Bridgewater Town Center
Massachusetts Historical Commission Report
This is a simple, rectangular,2 1/2-story frame dwelling. Extremely plain, its surface is devoid of ornamentation. Though difficult to stylistically classify, its massing vaguely resembles Italianate architecture. Its wide, gable ends are oriented north-south. Its principal entrance is located in the center of its five-bay, western facade. Its 6/6 wood sash windows are simply enframed.
This house has locally significant historical associations with Central Square shopkeepers. Lewis Holmes apparently built it sometime between 1852 and 1856. He owned a store occupying the site of the present Masonic building on Central Square. In addition, he was Bridgewater's trial justice, postmaster, and a justice of the peace. He sold the house to Richard W. Wilbur in 1857 "with the building there on." The 1852 Bridgewater map indicates that this lot was vacant or may have been partially occupied by a small, furniture shop building. For many years Richard W. Wilbur was a dealer in boots and shoes in Central Square. In 1887 Mr. Wilbur sold the house to Zebulon Pratt for $3500. The Wilbur-Pratt deed mentions "the dwelling house and stable there on." By the early 1900s, it was owned by the Zebulon Pratt estate.